Thursday, October 1, 2009

jeff dunham sucks



I've heard his name dropped for years now, and finally he caught up to me. He came on comedy central and I've been eavesdropping for about 10 minutes.

He's performing at the Pabst theater in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. At the beginning of the performance, he remarked "I knew I'd come back here to do my special" Why? One can only guess.

After hearing him go on a 5 minute long diatribe using grossly antiquated black slang phrases (through his dummies), I got the picture immediately. Slang from the hood gets absorbed into white culture, first on the cutting edge among younger people, then to the more "hip" TV shows and movies, and finally to middle-aged white suburbanites - but only after years have passed. When the phrase "bling bling" came into vogue among white kids back in 1999, one wouldn't even fathom that just now in 2009, a decade later, you hear it finally filtered through the various camps of society to a brazenly out of touch marketing team that put together a car commercial.

The point I'm trying to make is he picked his audience very carefully. A group of aging Midwestern suburbanite hicks who aren't particularly adept to relevant humor.

Well done Jeff Dunham. Keep on trucking - pending the rest of this special you might creep into the ballpark of Brian Regan suckiness.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

agreed, jeff dunham sucks. so does brian regan. maybe it's just hard to be funny as a stand-up comedian, but these guys are farther from funny than jews from pork.

October 22, 2009 at 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The slang-delay button for middle america has been duct-taped in the "on" position since before there even was a middle america. I always wonder what great comedians like Bill Hicks, Carlin, Pryor or Lenny Bruce would think of cats like Dunham. Comedy, like art, is best when dangerous. Dunham's act is about as dangerous as a dead kitten.

October 22, 2009 at 9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't stand the puppets, that just does it off for me. My two best friends are watching his show, or whatever it is and just told me that he is divorced now. I didn't want to say anything about it, because I'm not up front with everything and sometimes I feel like when I state my opinion right after someone likes them, I feel sorta like an asshole, but I don't like him at all.

September 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home